Clever design combined with structural engineering expertise, Tetra Tech Coffey helped Urban Climb transform disused inner city industrial warehouse into a modern bouldering gym facility for the community.
Tetra Tech Coffey was initially engaged to provide certification of the imported fabricated steel frame structures intended to be constructed to support the bouldering and wall climbing structures and associated climbing equipment at the Urban Climb gym.
Due to stringent regulations on the imported structural steel and complications with lead time as a result of COVID-19 restrictions, Tetra Tech’s scope was expanded to include all engineering services for the project.
Our Structural engineers undertook the following scope items:
- Initial investigations of the site including concrete footings/slab review and capacity assessment
- Dilapidation survey of the existing disused industrial building
- Development of conceptual and detailed design phases for the structural steel framing elements to accommodate the proposed Urban Climb bouldering walls
- Provided construction support of the steel frame erection and fixing to the existing building footings
- Assisted nominated fabricator support during the fabrication process
- Construction and site support
- Provision of final post construction certification and approval.
The team were proud to have delivered Urban Climb the engineering design and certification of their facility, allowing patrons of all ages in the community to enjoy this facility.
Client name: Urban Climb
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Duration: 2020 – 2021
Services provided: Engineering Services